Friday, April 8, 2011

and so it begins

allow me to introduce my selves.
   Yes, selves, there are six of us, including me, Linda, sharing this  5'1 122 lb body. Not much room for six people to live, no? Perhaps that's why there's clashes. Maybe if i gained a hundred pounds it would be simpler. We've all heard of sybil, or trudi chase on oprah. Dramatic, Hollywood renditions of what a person with mpd should and could look like. This is not the case. Yes, I have mutliple personalities, but they are highly intelligent, even "classy" and they don't take much joy in acting outlandishly. I seldom inform my friends and acquaintances of my condition. Fear that i'll be judged, Fear that i'll be treated differently, as one who is different, "leprous". The fact of the matter is, I am not the only one suffering from this strange malady. We are everywhere. ( are you scared yet?)  we're on the bus, serving you coffee, our nametag might say one thing while we introduce ourselves by a different name altogether. Why is the concept of a split person so taboo? Maybe because of the peculiaraty, the strangeness of it.
        Imagine if you will, going to work, and finishing your shift in what seems to be only an hour. Not that I don't remember working, I am aware of what went on, I just didn't necessarily complete any of it myself. And now, imagine if you can, on the busride home a man gets on who has a peculiar smell, I don't find it all that disagreeable, but since one of my alters do, my heart starts beating a million miles a minute, my throat closes up, the man gets off, and I am fine. Am I stepping across the weirdo boundaries yet? Imagine going through everyday, knowing that you yourself did not go through everyday. Imagine not remembering high school, or junior high, and the only memory of elementary being your first grade teacher, Mrs. Klink.

Now I am growing a bit weary of keeping quiet, of not having anyone to relate to with ( except my dearest best friend) when i know that we are all over this country. There is the feminist movement, the gay rights movement, the save the whales movement, my question is when will I be recognized? When will we be recognized as the result of a problem much bigger than ourselves. We only want to live peacefully, all of us, together.

2 comments:

  1. Hey you, I'm glad you started a blog! Very, very interesting read. I like hearing from your perspective what it's like to live with mpd. Keep it up! You'll find many more people who share the same lifestyle as you.

    ReplyDelete