Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Anna: where was i, again?

This past week I have heard dissociative identity disorder (referred to, of course, as 'multiple personalities') being explained as everything from symptoms of schizophrenia to demon possession to a flat out make-believe condition. Apart from providing me with a much needed laugh, these misconceptions of the disorder I struggle with on an everyday basis reminded me of how important it is for the people who are affected by this condition to share our stories, to show our perspectives. The stigma of mental illness only grows stronger as these blindly misinformed, ignorant speculations circulate without correction. At least hear my side.

I was not born like this. No one is born with DID. I was, however, born with a propensity to dissociate, being both an avoider and a highly creative individual. DID, unlike conditions such as schizophrenia or depression, which can be linked to genetics or chemical imbalances and treated with various medications, is most often trauma-induced, a direct reaction to an incident or incidents, and is primarily a method of coping with unwanted memories. No, I was not born like this, but from as early as I can remember dissociation has been the answer to many issues in my life.

I do not believe that anyone who personally knows someone with DID can endorse the idea that it is a fake condition. Alters, apart from leaving their mark via journaling, purchases, speeding tickets, scars, and a slew of tangible evidence, also have somatic proof of existence. From varying gaits, facial expressions, hand gestures, voice intonation, even blood pressures, scientific research has proven that it is indeed possible to share one's body. I personally have an alter with better eyesight than I possess, as far-fetched (and unfair) as it seems. When I call Linda I can tell in approximately four seconds if I am talking to her or an alter based solely on her voice inflection. Once it is properly addressed, dissociative identity disorder is much easier to pick up on.

The thing to remember is that the condition really changes nothing. I am still me, and chances are, as long as you have known me, I have been affected. I choose now to come forward and confront this in the hope that others will do the same, and together we can help to efface the much outdated view of what it means to live with DID. We can all be of tremendous support for one another; no longer should we have to feel isolated by our struggles. I do, indeed, get by with a little help from my friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment